Thursday, August 9, 2007

Alvin & The Chipmunks...The Revival.

As long as I can remember, I've had a problem with introducing myself to people. When I introduce myself as "Alvin", that's almost always immediately followed up by, "Huh?...Allan?". Am I mumbling?! Did I not enunciate the "V" enough?! Don't know what that's all about. Either that, or they hear it right and it's immediately followed up by either an, "AAAALVIIIIINNN!!!" in a Dave Seville type of yelling voice or a question of, "where are Simon and Theodore?". Now, I don't mind the references to The Chipmunks, but I hate going through a conversation with someone that keeps referring to me as "Allan".

My solution for both has always been to just nip it in the bud and introduce myself as, "Alvin...as in Alvin & The Chipmunks". The function of this is three-fold. First, there's no mistaking what my name actually is since most people are familiar with the old cartoon about some rockstar rodents and their weird human manager. No more, "What?...Allan?" replies. Nice. Second, it works as a bit of an ice breaker and usually generates a slight chuckle that eases conversation. Finally, it puts the brakes on any future Alvin & The Chipmunk jokes, references, etc. I already made that joke myself so the other person would end up looking like a fool doing it again. Perfect. But wait!...there's a kink in this plan. Or at least there was...

My Wife, P, has always kind of made fun of me for doing this (she makes fun of me for A LOT of things, actually). It's always worked for me and I have no plans on changing it, but about a month ago she made the comment that, "someday you won't be able to use that because people aren't gonna be familiar with that old cartoon anymore." And I started thinking. She was right...That cartoon was a long time ago, and the popularity of The Chipmunks isn't what it used to be. One day I will say, "Alvin...as in Alvin & The Chipmunks" to someone and it will be followed by...*blink*...*blink*..."What?...Allan?" Aaaarrgh!

Alas, there is a light at the end of this tunnel! Well, sort of. I recently saw something that will save "this little thing of mine"...recently saw a trailer for the live action/CGI Alvin & The Chipmunks movie starring Jason Lee as Dave Seville that is due out this Christmas. Interesting. Now, I can't believe they made a movie out of it and in all honesty it looks pretty bad (will probably go see it anyway just for curiosity's and old time's sake), but this movie ensures that my "intro" will have a much longer life expectancy! Rock on Alvin & The Chipmunks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re-read the blog & you will know why I make fun of you .. HELLO !

p.s. You will be watching that movie alone.

~no need to guess who