Monday, July 21, 2014

Driving in Manila for Foreigners - Tip # 1: Forget what you know about "Personal Space"

In the first post of this series I stated that I would be writing tips about driving in Manila "successfully" and gave my definition of what a successful drive in Manila meant to me. Now it's time to get to the nitty gritty. First up is kind of a prerequisite to driving in Manila, and that is your notion of "personal space". Take whatever preconceived notion you have about Personal Space (when it comes to driving at least) and throw it out the window. Your notion of personal space has no bearing on the lawless streets of Manila.


I know drivers in the US very much value their personal space when it comes to driving. We are used to keeping several feet between our car and the next and we expect other driver's to do the same. Good luck with that here because you're lucky if you get several inches. Other drivers will squeeze their cars next to yours within mere inches, and at first it made me a little uncomfortable. Now, I do the same and it allows me to take advantage of driving situations I wouldn't have been able to had I left several feet in between other cars. 

Also, driving closely to other cars also serves another, more important (IMHO) purpose...especially on the streets of Manila. Driving closely to other cars means not leaving space for someone else to "muscle" their way in front of you. Remember what I said about a "successful" drive meaning getting to your destination safely and in a REASONABLE amount of time? Well, if everyone is allowed space to muscle their way in, you'll never get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. Oh, and it won't be just one person that muscles their way in...once you let one person in, the other cars will pounce on the opportunity like a Lion pouncing on the prey it just happened upon. Before you know it, you've been forced to let 5, 6, or even a whole parade of cars through. Never gonna get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time like that. :)  

So, like I said...take your notion of personal space and toss it out the window. Cars will drive mere inches from the side of your car. You'll be able to look over at the people in the other car and feel like you can practically touch them, or play a game of Patty Cake with them they're so close (unless of course you have ultra dark tint like me and most everyone in Manila). Get used to it. Embrace it. Utilize it. That is what allows you to fit 4 cars wide on a 2 lane road... :)

No comments: