Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Morning After...

The speeches made last night, both by President Elect Barak Obama and by Senator John McCain left me feeling hopeful for the country that we call home. However, the more that I think about it, the more that one part of McCain's speech bothers me.

McCain made a point to say that Obama's election as President is a great achievement for African-Americans. WTF? It's not just a great achievement for African-Americans. It's a great achievement for ALL Americans! While the robes and hoods may have been turned in for suits and ties, Obama getting elected proves that we, as a country have come a long way. The American people have come a long way.

Honestly, when this whole election began, as much as I thought it would be great to see Obama as president, I didn't think the country was ready. Racism is so deep rooted in many people's psyches that I didn't think that i'd see a black president in my lifetime. I thought that i'd see a white woman as president long before i'd see a black president. Wow. I'm glad that the American People have proved me wrong. And to that, I applaud you. I applaud us all. Again, I say, I have never felt prouder to be an American. Rock on!

1 comment:

m said...

we talked at length about that mccain comment as well, and agree with you that it is america's achievement, not just a black achievement.

whatever, mccain. SCOREBOARD.